Daisy Canvas Collage Tutorial

I find it important to make time to create, just for fun...or therapy...or creative exercise. It's good for me and good for you too! So, last night, I had nothing pressing, a gentle rain was falling, the windows were open, and I sat at my table to create. It was relaxing.

You know I really like to collage. It combines some of the things that I love about designing and crafting: color, painting, layering, doodling, and tearing paper. 

Here is what you need to make this project. But, you know you should substitute materials and colors if you want, to make it your own.
  • four 6"x6" canvases
  • acrylic paint: sky blue, turquoise blue, turquoise green, white, lime green
  • seasponge
  • Fiskars punches: XL oopsie daisy, XL cloud
  • Fiskars deckle Tear edger
  • Scrapbook paper: assorted green prints, 2 deep pink prints, brown print, aqua print
  • small piece of bubble wrap, about 4" x 6"
  • Mod Podge for paper
  • paintbrushes: large flat, small round
  • scraps of 140 lb watercolor paper
  • 6 Pop Dots
  • white craft glue
  • small buttons: 6 turquoise, 1 lime green
  • fine point marker: black
  • tape
  • palette


I started with my favorite color palette, 3 shades of turquoise. Pour out a little puddle of each. Dip the flat brush into 2 or 3 colors at once.


Brush on to the canvas. Try to just apply the paint, not brush back and forth on it. This will give you visible striations of color.

Do all four canvases and let them dry. Arrange them in the way you want them to be in your design.


I love layered backgrounds on my collage. Clouds will be one layer. Using the cloud punch, make two strips of punched out clouds. Tape them together. Use this as a stencil. Save the punched out clouds for another project.


On your palette, pour out white and sky blue. I did not want the clouds to stand out too much, so I added blue to the white. Dip your damp (not wet) sponge into both colors. Dab on the palette to mix the colors on the sponge. 

Dap the sponge over the stencil to print clouds wherever you want them. 



Tear strips of green paper about 1" wide. I had three greens. Tear the strips into 1" square pieces.


Brush Mod Podge on canvas at bottom, Place paper squares over wet glue. Smooth with fingers.

Draw a vase shape on the back of brown paper. Cut out and Mod Podge on lower right canvas.

Brush turquoise blue paint on bubbles of bubble wrap.


Print randomly on left and right sides of canvases. The dots are another layer.


Also tear one 12" x 1" strip of aqua paper. Cut it in half and Mod Podge it to the left sides of canvases....about an inch from the left edge.

Put a dot of lime green paint where you want to build your three flowers. Brush lime green paint on the very edge of the tearing tool. Print a starburst of 12 spokes. 


Make a starburst around each dot.


Using the daisy punch, punch out a total of 11 daisies, using both pink papers.

Wrap each petal around the skinny end of round brush. This makes the daisies dimensional.


Assemble daisies in vase with pop dots between layers. Use white glue to attach buttons as centers. Use the round bush and lime green paint to make stems on daisies that go down into the vase.


Mod Podge 5 remaining punched daisies on strip of aqua paper on left side. Glue on button centers.


Use marker to doodle a bit on your canvases. Small spirals at ends of starbursts.....


...squiggly lines around clouds, paper strips, daisies, up the daisy stems, the vase...wherever you want to add accents.

If you use the thick canvases like I did, they can sit on a shelf or hang on the wall.

Find some time for a creative night to yourself. It is relaxing and fulfilling.
Take your Vitamin C!
Skip To My LouTip Junkie handmade projectsHookingupwithHoH

17 creative thoughts:

Barbara { March 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM }
You had my creative juices flowing at the 3rd picture and I might even have stopped there. I liked learning your creative techniques and by the way, nice photography and explanations. I understood everything.
The Diplomat { March 24, 2012 at 4:11 PM }
Loved this project. I'm kind of intimidated by painting, but your instructions and the pictures took that away. I really liked using the punches to make stencils too! This is a great way to make the money spent on punches go a lot farther. Like the dimension given to the punched flowers to. Give s lot of life to the piece.
Tracia { March 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM }
Love how you used punches for stenciling and to add dimension! Cute Stuff! You have a great eye for color!
Kim { March 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM }
Thanks so much for the encouraging words!
Sylvie { March 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM }
I love the punched clouds on the painted blue background... just stopping there would make a fun wall hanging! I wouldn't have ever thought to use the punches that way!! Fun project!
Anonymous { March 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM }
I absolutely cannot wait to try the bubble wrap technique, on anything! Kathy
Barbara { March 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM }
Love this concept, really got my juices flowing. Your instructions and photos make it easy to follow along, thank you for doing them in detail. Like that background and the dimension too.
Barbara West { March 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM }
WOW! As usual, your creativity inspires me. Your pictures and instructions made a complex project easy to follow. The one dimenstional picture came to life as I read how you created dimension with the papers and punched flowers you created.
Jennifer N. { March 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM }
What a neat project!!! This is so creative and pretty and has amazing dimension to it. (Love the pink flowers). The explanation of how to do the project has just enough detail with being extremely consise! GREAT, fun, delightful project!
YoungGramee { March 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM }
This makes me want to go out and collage on my own! I love the detailed instructions--gives me confidence! And the bubble wrap, who would have thought to use bubble wrap to apply paint. You are the queen of creativity in my book!
Anonymous { March 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM }
The pictures are very helpful and I like that you include them for every step of the creation process! I wish more craft instructions did this with such detail, and best of all the instructions were easy to follow and duplicate. Sometimes do-it-yourself craft instructions can be very confusing, but this was not. Overall, I loved it!
Anonymous { March 26, 2012 at 7:41 PM }
Lots of interesting techniques
Sara { March 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM }
This is GORGEOUS!! Hope you can link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/03/its-that-time-again-time-to-share-our.html
Mimi { March 28, 2012 at 6:47 AM }
I love the idea of doing 4 of these. I guess you could also arrange then in a vertical or horizontal line for a different look. Thanks!
Anonymous { March 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM }
I like every thing about this project. I love how the dasies are made dimensional. Such cute details!
Lisa Fliehman { March 31, 2012 at 8:46 PM }
Very creative and I love all the elements of the design process. Thanks for sharing at SweetTalkin' Sunday!
byodbuzz08 { November 29, 2018 at 3:41 AM }
Photo Canvas Collage prints are the ideal way to display lots of your stunning images without buying masses of bulky picture frames or cluttering up the house. With the use of smartphones and readily available digital cameras, we have become a nation of amateur photographers, using Instagram to capture our favourite moments. Out of this we now have some incredible photographs we are sure to treasure forever; the problem is there are just too many of them, making the task almost impossible when
choosing images to display in our homes

Leave a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitors

Contact Me:

kballor@aol.com