Vintage Bakelite Necklace

 What's not to like with these bakelite pieces? They are vintage and color saturated.  My friend Karen has a bunch of vintage pieces from her Mother in Law. I have remade some of the pieces for her to be more contemporary, or to make several pieces out of one, so the granddaughters can each have a piece of Grandma's jewelry. This nice bakelite is hers.


 I did not get to see the original piece. When I got it, it had already been taken apart. 


What is bakelite exactly? It is the first plastic, and is really polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride. Not a very catchy name. It was an accidental discovery by a Belgian scientist named Baekeland in 1907. Read here for the story of bakelite. it is pretty interesting.


 I don't work much in warm colors, but I did have a few spacers and smaller beads to add in.


 I hooked the donuts together with circles of seed beads.


Then I  added a strand of the bi-cone beads and a strand of seed beads wrapped around it to form the rest of the necklace. 


Hope she likes it!
Take your Vitamin C!
Somewhat SimpleHookingupwithHoH Be Different Act NormalTip Junkie handmade projects

0 creative thoughts:

Leave a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Visitors

Contact Me:

kballor@aol.com